Page 1 of 4

1 2 3 4
Next pageLast page
46 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
1 of 46  Sun 19th May 2013 11:16pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:132

Hi, Does anyone know where the Roebuck/White Rose Inn was on Little Park Street? Also called the Yorkist meeting house. There are three pictures on Pictures of Coventry, c04898, c01894 and c01897. The last picture is from the back after damage and you can see the building opposite in part but I haven't found any buildings to match it. I'm not even sure which side of the road it was or roughly which end. Thanks in advance.
Local History and Heritage - Little Park Street
dutchman
2 of 46  Sun 19th May 2013 11:52pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:2609

Hi Helen Wave I think it was roughly where the police station is now?
Helen F
3 of 46  Mon 20th May 2013 12:22am  

Hi Dutchman, Wave your pictures have been outstanding! I'm playing Coventry street jigsaw and your posts have filled in loads of blanks already. Yeah, my gut feeling was that the Roebuck was in that area but looking at this painting, it doesn't quite fit the buildings on the right. Little Park Street This scene is almost at St John's Street and then the girls Reform school so I'm not sure there were many buildings it could be. LPS as far as St John street Since I don't know exactly what was opposite I haven't been able to find a building with the right roofline, though I have a much zoomed aerial photo that could show something similar.
dutchman
4 of 46  Mon 20th May 2013 1:07am  

The King's Head Inn was at the very end of the west side of Little Park Street at No 60. Numbering then begins again on the east side at the southern end. The Roebuck was at No 68 so not very far from the junction with St John's Street. There's no record of the Roebuck after 1850 and the earliest town planning map dated 1888 suggests it was no longer used as a pub. Between 1920 and 1940 it was probably the site of a factory or a saw mill.
NeilsYard
5 of 46  Mon 20th May 2013 2:11am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:880

What was the tudor building on the right that Midland Red posted a while ago on here?
dutchman
6 of 46  Mon 20th May 2013 3:52am  

On 20th May 2013 2:11am, NeilsYard said: What was the tudor building on the right that Midland Red posted a while ago on here?
"Middlemore's", Nos 87-89 and thus some distance from No 68: Pictures of Coventry
Helen F
7 of 46  Mon 20th May 2013 2:02pm  

Ahhh, thanks Dutchman. That helps to know the numbers of the King's Head and Roebucks. Although I get a different building if I count up from the King's Head or down from the Bird in the Hand it's certainly within that bit of map above St John's Street. The place must have been just over the shoulder of the artist. I've now got an almost complete picture of the east side of Little Park Street but the west side is still a bit of a mystery south of Bushells at Cow Lane. I suspect these two pictures slot in somewhere- LPS unknown 1 LPS unknown 2 The second shows the spire of Greyfriars so it must be near the south end of Little Park Street. They were probably demolished for a factory that looks like it was in that location (the building seen through the ruins of Roebucks). It might have been an extension of the Coventry Machinist Company works or something else. Once I've got as far as I can on the internet and books I plan to visit the Herbert to see if I can fill in some of the gaps.
Annewiggy
8 of 46  Fri 14th Jun 2013 12:38pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:488

On 20th May 2013 2:11am, NeilsYard said: What was the tudor building on the right that Midland Red posted a while ago on here?
Another picture of the Tudor Building Neil c1896 Apparently this building was of historical interest in 1896. It was formerly occupied by an ancient trust, known as the "Black Gift", suggested by the distinctive colour of the scholars dress, representing the benefaction of some generous founder of a bygone age. In the yard attached to the works was an old 2 storey building, used as a store which was said to be the residence of the school-master of the charity. It says that the facade facing the street remained pretty much as it was.
Helen F
9 of 46  Thu 20th Jun 2013 8:30pm  

Thanks Annewiggy Wave , This picture adds a bit more info to my knowledge of this street. It's got a nice view of the moulding on Middlemores and a partial view of the third building which ties up with another picture I've got. Thanks. I bought a pile of second hand books with photos and sketches of Coventry and each has a few more parts of the street jigsaw. The last one to arrive was Dr Troughton's Sketches of Old Coventry which has many of the cool drawings from Pictures of Coventry website. There are a few new ones and I can see detail that wasn't previously obvious so it's a great book for working out what old Coventry looked like (artistic license notwithstanding). The first plate in the book is a drawing of the top end of Little Park Street.
NeilsYard
10 of 46  Fri 21st Jun 2013 11:19am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:880

Thanks Anne Wave When and why (though I can imagine!) did that terrific building go?
Foxcote
11 of 46  Fri 21st Jun 2013 8:09pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:1175

I found this link and wondered whether it was of any interest. Little Park Street
dutchman
12 of 46  Fri 21st Jun 2013 10:02pm  

On 21st Jun 2013 8:09pm, Foxcote said: I found this link and wondered whether it was of any interest. Little Park Street
That's actually a picture of The Green Dragon in Much Park Street! Smile LINK
Foxcote
13 of 46  Sat 22nd Jun 2013 12:21pm  

Sorry Dutchman! That's the downside of letting a 'Londoner' loose on the Forum Roll_eyes
dutchman
14 of 46  Sat 22nd Jun 2013 3:33pm  

What's funny Foxcote is that the building is identified as being The Green Dragon in Much Park Street elsewhere on the same website! Real Ale Rambles Smile
Foxcote
15 of 46  Sat 22nd Jun 2013 4:35pm  

Yes, it confused me, it's a good site with lots of information but like a few of the other sites that we use regularly, details sometimes require clarifying by the experts on here Cheers

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 46 posts

Page 1 of 4

1 2 3 4
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Binley Road, by Pattison's college
|

Next (newer) topic

Where is this garden?
You are viewing topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | PC skills tutorial | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 20th August 2014  (Load time: 2,795ms)